Kinder Morgan – Cheyenne Market Center Automation
Matrix PDM provided detailed automation engineering, programming, simulation and commissioning for the Cheyenne Market Center automation project on the Kinder Morgan natural gas pipeline that runs through Nebraska and Colorado. Automation included software programming for nine separate flow mode configurations based on pipeline demand requirements.
The final phase of commissioning was completed for three compressor stations with new control systems, including full supervisory control and diagnostic monitoring of equipment at each of the sites. The station control system monitors multiple engine compressor units in operation at each location and provides the capability for remote control of the units from the main gas control operation center in Lakewood, CO.
Scope of Work
- Communication with main gas control center with station specific operating data, including volume of gas delivered and critical maintenance information.
- Complete simulation of each unit and the station programs prior to commissioning
- Factory acceptance testing with simulation verification from KM
- Control commands programmed to communicate to the station PLCs using a SCADA microwave link
- Allen Bradley PLC-5 processors communicating via Ethernet Network
- Unit control logic consisting of mode control, loading/unloading control and various control algorithms
- Wonderware lnTouch HMI
- Station control logic consisting of remote, local and standby control, as well as various flow mode capabilities