Kinder Morgan – Park Terminal
Matrix PDM Engineering provided the engineering and design for an expansion project at the Kinder Morgan Galena Park Terminal to add 15 new product and feedstock tanks.
The new tanks were four 200,000 bbl feed tanks, three kerosene tanks, three naphtha tanks, two diesel tanks and three AGO tanks, each 100,000 bbl. The expansion allows NGL condensate liquid to be piped inbound by a 20-inch pipeline to the feed tanks, pumped through two splitter units for NGL processing to the respective storage tanks, and then exit the facilities via manifold and pumps to a UG pipeline to the facility battery limit where the product is then transferred to existing storage tanks in the facility.
The tank farm required the necessary system hydraulics and surge analysis; general civil, including containment; drainage; intermediate dikes and roadways; ring wall tank foundations; structural pipe rack and platforming; and mechanical piping systems, including pumps and manifolds.
The waste water system includes a new tank being fed from drainage lift stations and then pumped to the facility battery limit and ultimately to a waste disposal facility across the ship channel.
Electrical design was required for all new equipment, lighting, instrumentation and controls. A new MCC was installed to operate the new tanks, valves, and pumps. Matrix PDM also programmed a new SCADA control system to be integrated with existing plant controls.
Scope of Work
- Detailed multi-discipline engineering and design
- New product manifolds
- Splitter units include butane truck loading, vapor control and relief shperes
- System hydraulics and surge analysis
- Mechanical piping systems, including pumps and manifolds
- Fire protection, including foam connections for tanks and a new fire water loop around the facility
- Installation of a new MCC, which is fed from an existing substation via pole line, to operate the new tanks, motor-operated valves, pumps and miscellaneous loads
- SCADA control system integrated with existing plant controls