Yara North America, Inc.- St. James Stevedoring Floating Transfer Dock
Matrix PDM Engineering provided detailed preliminary and final engineering design and construction management services for Yara North America, Inc. for the new floating transfer dock at the St. James Stevedoring facility.
Matrix PDM’s expertise and consultation assisted the client in choosing the best financial and operational option for their facility, resulting in the floating dock structure rather than using a fixed dock design. The floating transfer dock allows the client to operate over a wide range of river stages, which enables vessel off-loading with minimal disruption.
Scope of Work
- Consulted with client to choose the best financial and operational option for their facility, resulting in the floating dock structure which allows the client to operate over a wide range of river stages, enabling vessel offloading with minimal disruption (at top)
- The floating transfer dock was significantly more economical and reduced construction time to help meet the fast-track schedule demanded by the client (at top)
- (3) anchor buoys for ship breast mooring lines
- Worked closely with the construction contractor to develop design details to decrease costs by incorporating previously used equipment
- (2) captive barges provide a nearly 600 ft. long floating dock to accommodates the unloading conveyor system
- The St. James Stevedoring facility won the 2011 International Bulk Journal Best Specialist Dry Bulk Port or Terminal award and was recognized for “how innovative design has increased flexibility, reduced costs and improved safety on the Mississippi River”
- (2) breasting dolphins with dual 96 in. diameter monopiles