Floating Transfer Dock – Convent, LA
Location: Convent, LA
Matrix PDM Engineering provided final engineering and procurement assistance services to Nucor for a floating transfer dock. The client needed a dock design that would allow unloading cape size ships early in the project, with minimal capital expenditure, and that would also accommodate the construction of a fixed dock at the later stages of the project.
Matrix PDM Engineering prepared a design similar to that of a floating dock it recently completed nearby but included significant modifications to accommodate plans for a future fixed dock.
The floating transfer dock option was significantly more economical in the interim and enabled the client to decrease initial capital costs and construction time.
incident safety culture
years of experience
Scope of Work
- Designed to accommodate Panamax to small cape size vessels
- Two captive barges will provide a nearly 600-foot long floating dock that accommodates the unloading conveyor system
- Two new breasting dolphins consisting of dual 96-inch diameter monopiles
- Four new mooring dolphins
- 96-inch diameter monopiles to handle ship breast mooring lines
- One new anchor buoy for ship head mooring lines
- Design includes provisions for ship-to-barge unloading
- Ping installed to reconnect the unloading arm
- Existing evacuation pump relocated to the new dock area