Floating Transfer Dock – Convent, LA
Matrix PDM Engineering provided final engineering and procurement assistance services to Nucor for a floating transfer dock. The client needed a dock design that would allow unloading cape size ships early in the project, with minimal capital expenditure, and that would also accommodate the construction of a fixed dock at the later stages of the project.
Matrix PDM Engineering prepared a design similar to that of a floating dock it recently completed nearby but included significant modifications to accommodate plans for a future fixed dock.
The floating transfer dock option was significantly more economical in the interim and enabled the client to decrease initial capital costs and construction time.
Scope of Work
- Designed to accommodate Panamax to small cape size vessels
- Two captive barges will provide a nearly 600-foot long floating dock that accommodates the unloading conveyor system
- Two new breasting dolphins consisting of dual 96-inch diameter monopiles
- Four new mooring dolphins
- 96-inch diameter monopiles to handle ship breast mooring lines
- One new anchor buoy for ship head mooring lines
- Design includes provisions for ship-to-barge unloading
- Ping installed to reconnect the unloading arm
- Existing evacuation pump relocated to the new dock area