Dock to Cargo Handling Facility
Matrix PDM Engineering was retained by the client as the port engineer to provide conceptual design study services, preliminary and final engineering, and construction management. The project converted an existing 44-foot x 410-foot dock into a general cargo facility capable of handling commodities ranging from containers to breakbulk cargos.
The facility was constructed in three phases with Matrix PDM Engineering assisting with all phases, including the preparation of appropriate documentation to fund the various phases, as well as administering the construction contracts per state bid laws and program guidelines.
Scope of Work
- 126,920 square feet of surface area added to existing dock structure
- Dock modifications to accommodate 65,000 dwt vessels
- Upstream and downstream mooring dolphins with walkways
- Two Manitowoc cranes equipped with grab buckets, custom mounted on traveling steel gantries
- Electric power feed and control system to cranes and gantry drive mechanism
- 170,000 square foot landside storage pad
- Managed construction sequence to maximize dock utilization during construction