Blue Circle – Bulk Terminals
Matrix PDM Engineering provided full service engineering for the construction of a new world-class import and distribution terminal at the Shipyard River Terminal (SRT) in Charleston, South Carolina. Blue Circle Cement had been supplying the Carolina markets since 1991, via a production facility in Harleyville, South Carolina. The new import terminal allowed Blue Circle improved global distribution costs, as well as increased vessel efficiencies.
The final design was defined into two separate scopes of work: the marine side, including all waterside facilities up to the second transfer tower located on the dock, and the land side, including the transfer point, two concrete storage domes and truck/rail loudout facilities.
The deep-water facility is capable of accommodating 65,000 ton ships and has a capacity of 1.8 mtpa. The installed Siwertell ship unloader allows vessels to efficiently discharge at high rates, with peak rates attaining 1,250 mtph. This high capacity allowed the terminal to take advantage of better ocean freight rates and minimized operating costs.
Scope of Work
- Transformed SRT to handle clinker, cement and gypsum with minimal impact on day to day operations
- Executed every aspect of the project within a fourteen month design to commissioning schedule
- Provided capability to load three trucks and one rail car simultaneously
- Modified existing dock structure to accommodate the ship unloader and Panamax size vessels
- Installed CamSpan gallery conveyors with a continuous opening in the dock-side conveyor gallery to allow the ship unloader to discharge cement onto the belt conveyor at any point along the belt
- Conducted geotechnical analysis of the site’s soils to provide for soil improvement before construction
- Installed dome reclaimers to deliver cement from the domes at 900 mtph
- Managed separate budgets, schedules, bidding, negotiation, letting and administration of seven major construction contracts and over 40 major equipment purchase orders