Tarsco/ATEC Steel – Process, Piping, Electrical and Controls – 2012
Matrix PDM Engineering, along with an international tank supplier/construction company provided process, piping, electrical and controls, and civil and structural engineering design services for a new bunkering tank farm facility on Melones Island, located five miles off the coast of Panama. Additional services provided included construction engineering support and major equipment procurement.
Tanks included: (6) 150 ft. diameter x 70 ft. high heavy fuel oil tanks and (6) 100 ft. diameter x 60 ft. high heavy fuel oil tanks, (2) 75 ft. diameter x 60 ft. high heavy fuel oil tanks and diesel fuel tanks, and (4) 3,500 bbl/hr blended product transfer pumps and two, 1,500 bbl/hr diesel fuel transfer pumps.
Scope of Work
- 16 total tanks with 2.1 million barrel total capacity and total construction cost of approximately $50 million
- Two diesel driven fire water pumps provided with fresh water jockey pump
- Mass flow metering system for diesel to fuel oil blending suitable for simultaneous loadout to four barge docks
- Diesel driven and electric powered air compressor/receivers
- Oil/water separator provided along with all auxiliary water removal pumps
- 130-degree hot oil boiler systems for heavy fuel oil heating
- Self-contained sewage treatment system with lift systems
- Four barge loading and two ship unloading hydraulic operated dock cranes
- Emergency shut down valves at dock, shore, and tanks
- PLC programming and control systems
- Freshwater cistern system with pumping station
- Designed the infrastructure facilities on the island for approximately 20 operations personnel