Seismic Preparedness and Recovery
With the increase of seismic activity, the risk of damage to owners’ and operators’ assets has also increased. Whether you are concerned about the structural integrity of your tanks, pipelines or other terminal equipment and infrastructure, Matrix PDM Engineering can assist by providing the services listed below.
Matrix PDM will identify vulnerable equipment in the terminal including, but not limited to, unanchored tall and skinny tanks, pipes with improper supports and independent structures with connecting platforms. Once the vulnerability of each component is identified, depending upon the risk assessment, each can be categorized into a specific risk classification.
- Engineering support to identify vulnerable equipment in the terminal
- Engineering support to categorize components based on risk assessment and classification
- Engineering and construction support for retrofitting vulnerable equipment, structures and components
Based on the client’s preference, repairs or replacement can be made to reduce an equipment’s risk category.
Seismic Hazard Classifications
Matrix PDM will assist owners to identify the severity of an earthquake that triggers post event inspection. Pre-defining the seismic parameters at which the structures become vulnerable can tailor the post event inspection to an approproiate number of tanks and components in the terminal.
- Engineering support to define seismic parameters to be used for emergency shut down (ESD) protocols and for identifying seismic vulnerabilities
Systems and protocols for terminal operation during seismic events
Based on seismic hazard classification, once an earthquake event occurs, event specific terminal operating protocols can be put in place to initiate remediation procedures. Matrix PDM will assist in development of the protocols using onsite monitoring devices. Matrix PDM can assist its clients in setting up a seismic monitoring systems.
- Assistance in designing and developing terminal operating protocol to be used during a seismic or other potentially catastrophic events
- Support in seismic monitoring device selection, installation and set up
Post-event inspection and repair services
As a leader in the design, construction, maintenance and repair of aboveground storage tanks and terminals, and with employees certified
to API 653, API 510, API 570, AISC and other inspection standards, Matrix PDM can provide post event inspection and repairs of tanks and terminals, including supporting infrastructure
- Post-event inspection of tanks, pipelines, terminal equipment and infrastructure
Repair and maintenance of tanks, pipelines, terminal equipment other and infrastructure